Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sharing some of my Process

Since I have received quite a few emails about Slip covering I thought I'd share with you some of my process. This is a Chair that I am doing for one of the shops that I sell threw which is the only way that I advertise my business at this time. 1~ Acquire Chair that is in good solid condition free of major stains and any odd smells. I vacuum out all the cracks and crevices ( you'd be surprised at what I've found in them ) 2~ Acquire fabric that inspires me!!

3~ fill out my project worksheet with cost of materials and time spent on project so that I can come up with a fair price for the finished project.
4~ for this Chair since the back is heavily tufted I cut up little pieces of batting and spray glued them into the wholes
5~ Then I spray the whole back with the glue and attach a thick batting to the back
and tack it at the edges with a quick running stitch
6~Next I measure all the parts and pieces of the chair
and make a pattern for the cushion
7~ Now I cut all my fabric to the measurement specified and take a moment to be thankful that the ice is almost melted off the lake ( did I mention that its been a loooong winter?)
The only other thing that I actually make a pattern for it the arm fronts This eliminates any pinning when I put the arms together.... More on that later.
Now every thing is ready for me to start sewing
There you have it, Some of my Process

Oh yeah I will be painting those legs black too

3 comments:

Pine Tree Home said...

I like the idea of the pattern for the arms. I remember my mom used to make patterns for things she tended to sew a lot of. It was a card stock template. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Unknown said...

What a good idea for using the spray glue and filling the tufting!!!! Can't wait to see what this is going to look like.

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing your whole process, hon. Still looks hard to me but that was great! Waiting to see your finished project. They are always so incredible!
Mom